Monday, 25 September 2017

a blankie and a quilt

I finally decided that the ripple blankie I was making for Emily was finished. That's the good thing about crocheting a baby blankie - if you've had enough of it and it's a decent size for a baby's cot, you can just call it finished!

This is a not-so-good photo of it but you'll get the idea.

This is an arty-type photo of the blankie all rolled up.

Emily loves the blankie so that's all that matters to me!

I've been busy making a heart quilt over the last two weeks. It all started off so well. I used a heart which I had designed in Photoshop.

I was even fairly pleased with it when I had sewn the rows together and put it on our bed to see how it looked.

But then I decided I didn't really like the deep pink around the heart or the pink I'd used as the background or the pink background for the embroidered "family heart" in the centre. So I unpicked all of those. Took me ages!

I then replaced the deep pink with the pink I'd used for the background in the original and changed the background to white. I also re-did the "family heart" embroidery on a white background. Much better.

Then I started to add the outside borders - alternating coloured/white squares. I only got the side borders put on ...

... before I decided I didn't like it! More unpicking was done.

I then decided to replace the alternating colour/white squares border and what would have been the outside white border with one wider pink border instead. Much better.

This was the quilt as it was on Saturday - all pinned and ready for quilting.

I have now done all the quilting and am about to attach the binding so, hopefully, it will get finished soon. This quilt has seemed to take ages but that's what happens when you change your mind about practically every part of it! *eyeroll*

16 comments:

  1. Emily's ripple is lovely! I really like those colors. I think your final heart quilt plan is perfect, the dark pink borders really set off the patchwork heart and the family lettering in the middle. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohmygosh -- I can't believe you unpicked all those blocks! It sure looks great, but you're a better man than I am LOL! Emily's little ripple is adorable too -- you'll have to get a picture of her all bundled up in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Anna. When I was unpicking the pink bits, I wondered if I wouldn't have been as well starting the whole thing from scratch but I couldn't face cutting out (or sewing) all those coloured 2½" squares again!

      Delete
  3. Now Anne, I think you're taking a woman's prerogative to extremes here, though I have to agree with you, that final design definitely looks the best. Can't wait to see it finished. I think ripples are my favourite type of crochet blanket, I'm sure Emily will love hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Jo. It's a good thing it was myself I was trying to please with the changes. If it had been anyone else, I might have got a bit grumpy with them! LOL

      Delete
  4. Oh my that quilt is amazing.
    Not a project for the faint hearted like me who wouldn't know where to start.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like a ripple blanket. Tilly could do with a new one - hint hint! πŸ˜‡
    The quilt is just wonderful and means so much. I love it. πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’• Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tilly might get a new blankie but I don't think it'll be a ripple. I'm a wee bit bored with those for now. I'll see what I have in the odd shapes box - I know she won't mind what it looks like. :o)

      Delete
  6. Oh my - I suffered through all of those changes with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the blanket and the quilt are beautiful. I am so glad I am not the only one who undoes/rips things out 'just because it is not quite right'. I am currently crocheting a blanket with some 4ply yarn (was meant for something else but the colours are totally different to what I saw online) I had an idea it would be easier a slightly different way and unpicked about 10 rounds. However, when I tried it the 'better way' it looked worse, so have had to re-crochet about a weeks' worth of work. Just for the record, I think your decisions for the quilt are totally spot on. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who rips things out to make them - hopefully! - better! I'm also glad you agree with my choices! :oD

      Delete
  8. I agree with being able to finish crochet to baby size when you've had enough & that one is so pretty. Nice to know I'm not the only to change their minds in the patchworking game. I do quite often if it doesn't look right & your heart looks lovely & look forward to seeing it quilted. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I'm very pleased with how the heart quilt has turned out. :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)