Thursday, 29 June 2017

lots of sewing and an Emily catch-up

First of all, let me show you what my friend Anne from frayedattheedge sent me. Anne had asked me if I would kindly make her a sheepie like the one in this post and, of course, I said I would. In return, she sent me a cute salt and pepper set for my collection.

I've already thanked Anne - probably more than once! - but thanks again, Anne. I really love them! :o)

I've done quite a bit of sewing recently. First, a top for myself. This is the pattern I used - Butterick 6024, view D.

I didn't do the opening at the front neck - I thought it might end up a wee bit low on me so just missed it out! Here's my version of it:

I used a stripey sheet from Asda's. I think I paid £7 for the sheet which gave me more than 2 metres x 2 metres of fabric. Bargain!

Next I made some rompers for Miss Emily using this pattern - Simplicity 1447, view C.

I used a remnant which I'd paid £3 for. Another bargain!

Next I sewed her a wee dress using Butterick 5017, view D.

This was another remnant which also cost £3. Yet another bargain!

I've also made the matching panties but I'm waiting for Debbie to measure Emily's waist and thighs so I can put the elastic in. I'll take a photo when they're elasticated.

This was my best bargain of the week - yes, even better than the ones I've already shown you. This was the piece of fleece left from the quilt I made last week. I straightened up the edges, cut off the selvedges and cut fringes on both ends. A free scarf!

Now a few photos of Emily to show you how big she is. Debbie took this one last week. She's not crawling but she wants to!

When we went to see them last weekend, Joanna and Emily chose Emily's hallowe'en outfit. Or at least the hat and shoes! LOL

Last one for now, Debbie sent this tonight. Emily holding tight to Mr Bunnykins. So cute!

You may have noticed in the "crawling" photo that Emily has a hearing aid in her ear. She's actually got them in both ears. Her hearing was tested twice when she was a few days old and she failed both tests. She was tested again at 3 weeks old and is hard of hearing in both ears. Basically what that means is she *can* hear but not as well as she should. It's really interesting to see her noticing things now that she didn't before. She always heard Molly barking but now she can hear Molly's toenails clicking on the wooden floors. She always heard loud noises but now scares herself when she hiccups! LOL

Naturally, we'd rather she didn't need the hearing aids but we realise how lucky she is to have been caught so early and to have hearing aids fitted at 3 months old is just incredible. I was talking recently to a primary school teacher and she told me that some children started school without having been tested. How much harder would it be to start wearing hearing aids at 5 years old? Yep, Miss Emily is a lucky wee girl!

16 comments:

  1. I love everything you made. You and Miss Emily are going to be the best-dressed girls in town this summer! I'm sorry to hear about Emily's hearing aids, but like you said, it's lucky that you were able to catch it early and that she's getting the help she needs. That's what matters. My son has fairly serious health issues involving his kidneys and urinary tract. We've dealt with this constantly since his birth and we always will. But I always say the same thing, we're glad they caught it early and that there are ways to help him be as healthy as he can be. He also went through a lot of hearing tests, actually. He was very late to begin talking and required speech and occupational therapy starting at two and a half to help strengthen his core muscles and assist his speech development. For a long time, his doctors were concerned about hearing loss, though, because children with kidney malformations, like he has, often have malformations of the ears too. Apparently, they're related, and kids with kidney issues have to watched for hearing problems. Thankfully, his ears are normal, it's just the kidneys in him. Anyway, I understand and I know you will all take wonderful care of Emily and that she will have every advantage in life and do beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I think we've been really lucky that Emily's hearing loss has been found so early. She is such a contented wee soul. Nothing seems to faze her - even her hearing aids.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, little Emily is growing so fast, she looks like she'll soon be crawling. It's amazing how treatment for different conditions has progressed, I didn't know hearing aids could be fitted to such young babies. It's marvelous that they can diagnose hearing problems in one so young too, it means that Emily gets the help she needs right from the off. I love the little dress you made for her, we just need the sunshine to come back now so that she can wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It's hard to believe that Emily's only 16 weeks old and is doing so much already. You're right about the sunshine - it hasn't been warm enough for me to wear my new top or for Emily to wear her new outfits since I made them for her. Come back sun - all is forgiven! :oD

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous sewing projects as always.
    I actually have that pattern for the dress and loads of fabric I could use. I just need to get into a sewing frame of mind again.
    How gorgeous little Emily is-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. The dress didn't take me long to make it - although I didn't follow the pattern instructions for the bodice. They seemed much more complicated than they needed to be in my humble opinion.

      Delete
  4. Nice blouse, but oh, those cute baby clothes. Emily will certainly be the best dressed wee lass in the country. Quite remarkable about the hearing aids, but good to be done so early in life. She is a real sweetie. Have a good weekend & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Baby clothes hardly take any fabric at all so I can get dresses or rompers for Emily out of quite a lot of my stash! Yay! :o)

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness - how amazing that they can make hearing aids that small!! And wearing them from babyhood, she will grow up being quite used to them, rather than having to get used to them as an older child. And of course hearing properly now means her speech development won't be delayed. And yet another and! ..... they are so small and discreet - I remember a boy in my class at primary school - he had an earpiece with a wire which went to an appliance in his shirt pocket!
    As always, lots of super sewing!!
    Have a great weekend, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. Yes, Emily's hearing aids are tiny and discreet. I remember hearing aids like you spoke of too - thank goodness things have moved on since those days.

      Delete
  6. As my Emily said to me, it's just the same as wearing glasses to help your eyes. She's just wearing hearing aids to help her ears. And I already don't see them. Who would when you're wearing pumpkin shoes? I need to get me a pair of them so we match on Hallowe'en!!

    All the clothes are gorgeous but that romper is my kind of thing. Can I get a matching one, please? :)

    And I love those S&Ps. If they go missing - I know nothing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, your Emily is right. No difference at all!

      Everyone should get some pumpkin shoes - and why wait until Hallowe'en? LOL

      I'll make you a romper if you find a pattern for one for your size that only takes 70cm of fabric! :oD

      Delete
  7. Those clothes you made for Emily are gorgeous. So glad they have found out about her hearing early so she wont miss out on anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. Yes, Emily's so lucky to have been diagnosed so early!

      Delete
  8. Awww, look at your little doll -- she's adorable! It looks like you've been having fun making cute clothes -- aren't baby clothes just the best -- I LOVE sewing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I do love making baby clothes but they can be a wee bit fiddly! Trying to sew the armholes can be a bit finicky but I got there in the end. :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)