Monday, 13 February 2017

owls quilt - finished

I finally finished the owls quilt I was making for Debbie with the fabrics bought in Canada when she and Jason were there last year.

She had chosen this pattern (click on the photo for the pattern) which Joanna had found on Pinterest.

I played around in Photoshop putting the colours of Debbie's fabrics in where they would go and came up with this:

Debbie thought that the fabrics looked like they were "floating" and I could see what she meant - no real definition of the blocks. So Douglas and I went through my pile of plain colours and decided a bright pink would look best.

Back to Photoshop and this is how it looked now. Much better!

The eagle-eyed amongst you might have spotted that I changed a starry fabric for a turquoise fabric - 1st block on the left, second row down. I don't know if it was a mistake in the original pattern but it was the only block that didn't have all the colours in it. So I changed it. As you do. Or at least I do!

Anyway, Debbie liked this layout so the sewing began. I managed to get the top sewn together but then I got sick and the quilt sat for about 3 weeks with nothing being done to it. Last week, I finally sat down and got it quilted. I just sewed diagonal lines - the quilting part of making a quilt is my least favourite part of the process and, if I can think of a quick way to do it, that's the way I'll go.

Here's the quilt on our bed.

Here's a close-up of the fabrics - those owls are so cute!

Here's a better photo of the quilt with my trusty quilt holder (Douglas) holding it up.

The back is a fleece given to me by Joanna - this quilt has turned into a real family affair! The pink on the snowflakes is almost exactly the same colour as the pink Douglas and I chose to boost the blocks. Pure coincidence!

It's less than 2 weeks now until the baby's due. We're getting excited/scared/impatient around here! :o)

16 comments:

  1. That is a lovely quilt and I really like the layout.
    I am hoping to get a little more adventurous with my layouts this year. I don't like the quilting bit either but I could sit and handstitch binding for hours....that is my most favourite bit about making quilts-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like sewing the bindings on by hand too but decided to do this one by machine. I'm in the middle of a disappearing 9 patch now which I've decided is one of my favourite quilts to make.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, you've made a great job of it and I love the owl fabric, so cute. Keeping my fingers crossed for Debbie, I hope she has an easy time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I was talking to another person who just became a grannie and she said the day her daughter was in labour was the scariest day of her life so far. Yikes!

      Delete
  3. That's beautiful, Anne! I love the colors and the owl fabric especially. It was a great idea to plot out the design on Photoshop, really good thinking! I hope all goes well for Debbie, she's getting so close!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. My Photoshop doesn't get used nearly as much as it used to - it was fun to play with it again! :o)

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that you haven't been too good, lots of really rotten virus's about this year. I love those colours. I love that fleece too. It makes me want to nuggle up on the sofa with a good book instead of going to work tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. It was "just" a really bad cold but it certainly knocked me back a bit. I'm better now and trying to catch up on things that were left hanging because of it!

      Delete
  5. Of course I love it, there are owls!! Seriously, it looks fabulous and I love the backing. If only we lived near each other, then you could do the piecing and I could do the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. Yes, if only we did live closer. I even like cutting the fabrics! Anything rather than the quilting part!

      Delete
  6. Love that quilt. Hope you are feeling a lot better now and I could just about write the same as Anne above. I'm a mad owl lover and and also thought if I lived closer I could do your quilting. I don't know the program 'photo shop', but have Quilt Wizard, which was the forerunner of the EQ design program that is available. I also plan with graph paper and colour pencils. Take care of yourself & have a good week. Not long now & hope all goes well for Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I've had Photoshop for a really long time and know my way about it. Douglas keeps suggesting I update it with a more modern program (preferably a free one) but, until my Photoshop stops working, I'm sticking with it! Stubborn? Me? Em, probably! LOL

      Delete
  7. Oh Wow Anne! Is it time already??? That sure went fast -- at least for me LOL -- I'm sure it seems like it's taking forever for you LOL! Good Luck to you and the new little family. Love the sweet little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. Yes, it's almost time. Yikes! :o)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful Anne! I hope that all will be well with the baby!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)