Sunday, 22 January 2017

another catch up post!

I got into trouble yesterday when we went to see Debbie, Jason, Molly & baby bump for not blogging. Debbie told me in no uncertain terms she was fed up refreshing the page only to see the same photo of hyacinths again and again. Okay, next time you refresh, you'll see a photo of my sale jammies. Happy now? :oP

Yes, I bought some jammies in the sales - you just can't make jammies for £8 these days. Crumbs, a dressmaking pattern costs more than that! Anyway, I wore them for one night and *had* to do something about the buttons. They were so small that they kept coming out of the buttonholes - not good in this chilly weather! So, I went to replace the buttons and didn't have enough of the right size. Isn't that always the way? I have thousands of buttons - no word of a lie - and it's crazy how many times I don't have enough for what I want to do! Then I had a bit of a brainwave - why do they need to be the same? They don't! So the replacement buttons don't match and I don't care one hoot. I love these jammies. They are so comfy and cosy - especially now that they stay shut!

I made a couple of lemon cakes. I doubled the quantity as I had a lot of lemons to use up. They're all gone now but they were delicious! My mouth's watering just thinking about them!

I decided to stop crocheting the ripple blankie I was making for the new baby - blogged about here. I've not ripped it out, just put it away for now. Instead I've made the same kind of blankie I made for both our girls when they were babies - your good old traditional granny squares.

When we found out Debbie was pregnant, my next door neighbour asked me if Debbie would like a traditional shawl. Debbie was delighted at the idea and C gave it to us last week to give to Debbie. Oh. My. Goodness. It is absolutely gorgeous. What a lot of time and effort she's put into it! Debbie - having been brought up well ;o) - has already written a thank you note. She just loves it!

When Debbie and Jason went on holiday to Canada last year, a friend took her to the quilting shop we'd gone to in 2011 - blogged about here - and bought her fabric to make a quilt for the baby. At that time, Debbie didn't know what sex the baby was so the fabrics are non-gender-specific. I've spent the last week or so making them into a quilt top.

It's now pinned on to a fleece for the backing so I hope to get it quilted together this week.

One of Joanna's work colleagues was admiring her diary cover (blogged about here) and oohing and aahing and drooling over it. Maybe the last bit isn't quite true but it was a close thing! Joanna asked me if I'd make a cover for Gail. Of course, I said yes.

Here's the front:

The back:

The inside front cover showing part of the quote Joanna chose:

The inside back cover with the rest of the quote - I did the quote using my embroidery machine. So easy peasy!

I hope Gail likes it - I'm sure she will!

You might have noticed some wee paws in the photo showing the back cover. That's because Tilly decided she wanted in on the act. Butter wouldn't melt! :o)

12 comments:

  1. Love those jammies....the buttons are perfect-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila! At least the front doesn't pop open now! :oD

      Delete
  2. I love all of your makes, and the shawl from your neighbour is beautiful isn't it! What a lovely and thoughtful gift. I like your jammies makeover, now they are personalised!! The diary covers are a great idea too aren't they. Happy making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. The shawl from my neighbour C is just gorgeous. I could stare at it for hours.

      Delete
  3. I love posts like these, jam packed with news and makes, and of course, a doggy or two. Tilly is so gorgeous, I could just hug her so tight. Oooh, I love anything lemony so those cakes wouldn't have lasted long here, yum yum. The diary cover is just lovely, you always choose such wonderful fabric. How lovely of your neighbour, the shawl is perfect, it won't be long now until it's in use, I bet you can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. Just over 4 weeks to go now. You're right, we can't wait! :o)

      Delete
  4. I too thought you'd been quiet & now here is a lovely chatty post. Good idea with buttons & as I was reading I thought of it too, as you said you had so many & what the heck on something only you see. Beautiful shawl & reminds me of something similar in my Mum's knitting patterns from when I was born,(late 40's) & love the colours in your granny square rug. Hi Tilly! Me thinks it may be close to Bump arriving? Have a good week & take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the shawl is almost "old-fashioned" but lovely for all that. C must have taken a long, long time to knit it. It's just beautiful! Yes, just over 4 weeks to go now. Exciting times! :o)

      Delete
  5. Love the fabric for the book cover. It's so cute! Love the shawl. I remember having one for my first but you don't see them much anymore. A shame as they keep baby snug and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember using the ones I had for our girls a lot. They were good for keeping them wrapped up tight! :o)

      Delete
  6. Lovely things, mama. Gail's in love with her diary cover and can't thank you enough! And doesn't Tilly look cute? She'd like me to tell you that butter definitely wouldn't melt!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Gail likes the diary cover! Phew!! Tilly was funny the way she was just sitting there waiting for me to take her photo. She does make us laugh! :o)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)