Wednesday, 26 October 2016

stars quilt - all finished

The star quilt is finished - yay! Here are a few progress photos.

First of all, the top all pieced together. I deliberately put the darkest backgrounds on the diagonal. I don't know why I did that but it works for me!

Here it is pinned to the wadding and starry backing ready for quilting.

Here it is diagonally quilted and trimmed around the edges.

The binding - black with pink stars - is all attached.

Here's the quilt lying on our bed. Fabulous!

Then I took it outside and asked Douglas to hold it up for me. You can just see his fingers!

The back is perfect for a starry quilt, don't you think?

This quilt is for a very special baby - can you guess which one? ;o)

I know the pattern is nothing new but I'm especially proud that I worked it all out by myself. Well, myself and Mr. Pythagoras. Once a mathematician, always a mathematician! :oD

I have a few other things to show off but they'll wait for another day. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy staring at the stars!

22 comments:

  1. Fabulous!!! I have a thing about starry quilts & was once told it was all I made, (not true), but they are still up there at the top. I love the way you've the dark ones on the diagonal & that is the fun of quilting, taking it where you want with colours, patterns & placement. I think we all know the lucky recipient will love it. Hope all is going well on that front. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I did have fun with this one. There's just something about stars! :o)

      Delete
  2. The quilt is gorgeous and the new baby will be delighted to snuggle up to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran. I'm sure this will be the first of many! :o)

      Delete
  3. Excellent Anne! The backing is perfect! And figuring it out on your own is my favorite way to make a quilt -- I'm always amazed that people can make money selling relatively simple quilt patterns! Anyway -- Oh So Pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I'm glad I'm not the only one astounded that people make money from "simple" patterns - and that other people buy them! I suppose it takes all sorts, eh? :oD

      Delete
  4. Love the quilt - and the backing and binding are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. I must admit I am very fond of starry quilts! :o)

      Delete
  6. That's stunning, absolutely beautiful. Yes, the backing is perfect, I don't think you could have chosen anything better. Hmmm, now what baby would that be, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. The backing is a child's duvet cover out of Aldi's. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to use it as the backing of this quilt. I'm so glad I did!

      Delete
  7. Oh it's beautiful. Love the backing and binding fabrics.
    Not sure I am brave enough to tackle that kind of pattern at the moment. I am just doing a pinwheel quilt using half square triangles for the first time-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. This one's made from half-square triangles too. It's amazing how many designs can be made from them!

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the finish! It is gorgeous ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Summer. I'm really pleased with it! :o)

      Delete
  9. The quilt is fabulous!! I am sure the recipient will love it when they arrive! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning! Lovely work. I'm sure the person receiving will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that quilt, it looks amazing! Great work :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blethers. I really appreciate it. I do try to reply to everyone but sometimes life just gets in the way of that happening! :o)